Monday, March 26, 2007

The Experiment Begins...

What happens when you take a fairly intelligent, computer-literate girl (or I guess to be PC, young woman) and make her the SEO in training for your entire company? This blog!

I went from being an account manager/sometimes writer for GetMyHomesValue.com (the brainchild of Web Xtreme, Inc) to being the resident SEO buff - okay, so I'm not a buff yet, but that's the whole goal behind this change. The owners of WebXtreme.com came to me on 3/19/07 and asked me to become the new SEO-er for our company - I didn't even have to think about it - it was a chance to use a few more of those skills I paid over a hundred grand for by going to college (totally worth it by the way!).

It's nice to know that Rory, Steve and Dave have confidence in my writing skills as well as my ability to learn a totally new subject. So now I'm officially the SEO for Web Xtreme, Inc and all of their websites.

Except I had VERY little knowledge of what exactly it MEANS to do SEO, the ins and outs, heck, even what it stands for and all that it encompasses! So step one has been researching SEO and getting intimate with what exactly SEO is about. Step 2 has been getting familiar with all the famous SEO-ers out there (whose blogs are a godsend!) and step 3 is simply gobbling up any and all information on SEO in an attempt to make myself an expert.

Is it going to take time? Yup. Hard work? Oh heck yes. Am I confident that I can do it? Ya darn straight I am - as I said, I'm a fairly intelligent girl and a quick learner. If all those self-taught experts can do it, well then, so can I!

The blog is to help me keep track of what I'm doing on a day to day basis, sharing my successes and failures, what works and what doesn't, pretty much from a layman's point of view (I don't know all the fancy vocabulary yet, but I'm learning!).

The ironic thing about this whole situation is that I've been whining about how much I miss school and learning (I'm a nerd) and just getting to read, read, read on new subjects. And *poof* this opportunity is dropped in my lap. So now I get to learn new things, and not only do I NOT have to pay to learn, I'm actually getting paid to do it (thanks guys!).

More to come on the basics I've learned, what I'm working on, where I'm going, etc. If ever I post any bonehead comments and you SEO experts out there see it - PLEASE feel free to comment - I am SO open to suggestions, tips, help, etc it's ridiculous!

No comments: